Head of Technology opportunity with our client, a high-growth tech start-up that is disrupting the industry in which it operates. With year-on-year growth they have increased the number of SaaS products they offer to truly corner the market. They are one of the most dynamic start-ups in London and have a fantastic opportunity for a Head of Development to join them.
Sitting on the management team you will work closely with Product, Commercial, Marketing and Finance teams to find the best balance between technology and business benefits. You will also take ownership of establishing a near shore Engineering team, scoping the best location strategically and structuring and managing a team with the help of your Lead Developer.
You need to be an experienced, commercially focused, technical manager who is used to working with organisations of varying size and at all stages of a project, able to implement innovative strategies to achieve success.
You will have a proven track record in delivering what a business needs and the experience, credibility and commercial understanding to work with the Board and other advisors to identify and achieve business goals.
Our client would love you to be motivated by solving problems through implementing scalable and excellent technical practices such as TDD, Continuous Integration, Refactoring, Pair Programming and Automated Testing. In this role, you will continue to shape the engineering culture to provide a safe to fail, learning and innovative environment that hires and retains excellent staff.
You will find most support if you are an Agile Practitioner and enjoy building, transforming and leading Engineering teams to a mature development process that is built upon Agile and Lean values, using Kanban and Scrum where appropriate. You will have plenty of opportunity to add your own flavours to the mix, such as technical practices from eXtreme Programming.
- Define the technology solutions that best deliver customer value whilst remaining maintainable and scalable to support the business growth
- Collaborate with the Product team on Definition of Ready and Definition of Done
- Proactively contribute to roadmap and backlog planning to ensure clarity and accountability for release goals
- Define and facilitate the approach to quality assurance across disciplines
- Own and manage the technology roadmap to maintain control over the technical debt
- Manage relationships with external vendors (engineering resource, QA, cloud engineers)
- Manage expectations of senior stakeholders and establish shared understanding of priorities across the company
- Maximise efficiency and define process of delivery in a constantly evolving environment
- Form, shape and manage the engineering team, including recruitment, evaluation, line management, performance management and retention
- Several years of Software Development experience, including leadership roles
- Excellent knowledge of modern web technologies and cloud-based infrastructure
- Ability to setup and maintain a predictable and continuous delivery process within the Agile delivery model
- Acquisition and retention of engineering talent — both in-house and remote
- Transformation of teams, promoting autonomy and accountability
- Performance Management, both for underperformance and recognition
- Computer science educational background
- Experience working with Senior Management Teams / Boards to achieve organisational goals and experience of working with VC investors to help communicate and justify business plans are desirable, though not essential
- Salary range of £70k – 95k (depending on experience)
- Share Options depending on salary
- Employer backed pension scheme